The following people currently serve on the committee for The British Association for Biological Anthropology and Osteoarchaeology.
Treasurer (3 or 5 years)
Lizzy is a Lecturer in Human Osteology at the University of Sheffield where she co-ordinates the MSc in Human Osteology and Funerary Archaeology. Her background is in Archaeology (BA, Durham), Human Osteology and Palaeopathology (MSc, Bradford) and her PhD (Sheffield, 2010) focused on exploration of funerary practices that characterised early Christian cemeteries (c. 7-9th centuries A.D.) in northern England. She taught at Bournemouth for several years before beginning her lectureship in 2013. Her research interests continue to be in areas at the intersection between osteology and funerary archaeology and have focused in recent years on topics including medieval childhood and the body, burial and identity. Lizzy is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a member of the Council of the Society for Medieval Archaeology.
The treasurer oversees the full range of financial affairs of the Association. This comprises a range of general and specific tasks:
- Ensure the finances of the organization are managed within the law and by the requirements of a UK charity
- Ensure the organization manages its finances in the best interest of members, feeding income back into charitable activities for their benefit and the pursuance of our charitable purposes (e.g. to promote biological anthropology)
- Ensure proper records are kept of all transactions
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the organization at meetings and when required
- Oversee the production of necessary financial reports. This comprises periodic ‘state of finances reports’ presented at committee meetings, an annual report presented at the AGM and a yearly account report submitted to the Charities Commission.
- Manage the two bank accounts (current and reserve) with NatWest. Act as signatory for cheques, manage access to online banking, hold a debit card in their own and the charities name, provide an address for the delivery of paper statements
- Keep all paper financial records of the organization, including receipts for payments, should the organization be audited
- Keep all digital financial records of the organization
- Manage the PayPal account
- Manage the firstname.lastname@example.org email account
- Make fellow committee members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them
- Regularly report the financial position at committee meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc).
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, ie:
- Cheque signatories
- Purchasing limits
- Purchasing systems
- Others as appropriate
- Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies