A Statement on COVID-19
I hope this email finds you and your family fit and well. I am just writing in relation to the coronavirus infection (COVID-19). The Trustees of BABAO are closely monitoring the situation within the UK and beyond, and noting the government's advisories and directives. This is a fast changing and complex situation and it is very difficult to predict what will happen in the future. As an aside, we will be holding our next Board of Trustees meeting virtually next week - so please respond to the trustees who have asked if you have anything you wish to raise with the Board.
At this point, in particular, we are thinking about our annual conference. We are very aware that this event does not take place until September, but it is appropriate that we start to discuss it. At this stage our goal is to ensure that any decisions we make regarding the conference are timely and made with the safety, health and well-being of attendees in mind. This is a difficult time for us all. If the recent directives of these last two weeks are maintained for several months, it looks unlikely that we will be able to hold the conference. If this is the case, we will explore all potential alternative options. Nonetheless, in collaboration with the team at Teesside University, we will work to keep you updated at regular intervals as to the situation relating to our conference. However, the data provided from varied sources can be difficult to navigate, as you well know. We ask for your patience.
For now, the call for papers will remain open but we advise against anyone making non-refundable travel bookings until further notice.
As a Board we will endeavour to keep things going as planned!
In the meantime, if you have any worries relating to BABAO's operations, please feel free to contact me. In working from home, like many of us are now doing, we need outside contact!
President of BABAO